When inspecting your mouth for signs of gum disease, do you know what to look for? Does it appear your teeth are growing longer or your gums are becoming brighter with color? If you have not been caring for them with the right amount of care, it is possible you are beginning to experience signs of gum disease. Gum disease, also acknowledged as periodontal disease, is the result of an infection to your gum tissues. If left untreated, it is probable for your gums to become destabilized and eventually lead to a loss of teeth.
Protect your gums and teeth from gum disease. Listed below are some signs and symptoms to watch for:
– Exercise caution with any medications you may take, as they can often cause dry mouth symptoms, a known root of gum disease.
– Inspect the length of your teeth to confirm they are not becoming longer as the result of your gums pulling back away from them.
– Avoid dangerous habits for your teeth such as smoking and chewing tobacco, as they can greatly increase your likelihood of getting gum disease.
– Keep track of how frequently you have bad breath, as recurring bad breath can often be a sign of gum disease.
– Be on the lookout for signs of bleeding when eating foods or practicing oral hygiene habits such as brushing and flossing.
– Prudently inspect all of your teeth to ensure they are not loose, wobbly, or rotating.
– Always search your gum tissue on all corners of your mouth for signs of swelling, tenderness, and a general increase in redness.
If you would like Dr. Borgmeyer, Dr. Borgmeyer and our team at Borgmeyer Dental to bring you in for an oral exam to determine which treatment is best for you, please contact our dentists’ office in St. Louis, Missouri, by calling us at 314-351-6554. We can defeat gum disease and get you on the path to smiles for miles!